Options for installing NEW fireplace or wood stove

danstachOctober 23, 2011

Hi All,

We have an interesting fireplace. actually just the fireplace mantle. as far as we know there has never been a fireplace in our house but the mantle is original to the house. we like the look but not the empty space.

what are our options for a fireplace with out having to build a chimney?

we would be happy with gas but wood would be really nice. maybe a pellet stove?

are the book cases too close to the "fireplace"? is there a minimum amount of space that needs to be to the right or left of the fireplace?

Has anyone out there faced something like this?

Is this something that a pro should do or can a handy home owner take care of most of the install (not including the gas)?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

Any appliance that burns solid fuel - wood or pellets - requires a chimney, although I have recently seen advertisements a "window mount" pellet stove - no mention of code or insurance issues.

You will also be faced with clearance issues on both sides. The book cases and furniture are way too close to the potential fireplace opening. Plus a hearth would have to be built out into the room.

What you're left with is a direct vent gas fireplace, many of which would fit nicely in the space, assuming it's on an exterior wall.

You might be able to cut the required opening as a DIY project, but I'd leave the rest of the installation to the pros from wherever you purchase the gas appliance. There are a number of code and insulation requirements that need to be considered.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 5:38AM
More Discussions
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™