Natural Gas Fireplace...how to get even flame?

turboloverOctober 14, 2007

Guys I have natural gas Fireplace. There is a snad in the bottom of a pan and couple of logs with a bunch of "dust bunnies" I call that glow. Problem with my fireplace is that fire is not spead out evenly across. Fire concentrates close to igniter and only small flames are on the other side. I tried empting the sand and putting it back and that seem to fix it for a while but then it does the same thing. How does this thing work? I don't really see anything that can be cleaned there. What does the sand do? Does it have to be changed, compacted or turned over? Does it even have anything to do with the flame? What can be done about this?

Thanks a lot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolvt

i really don't know much about these things, but generally a gas burner has a series of holes. Gas is supposed to come out of each hole and thus you have a flame at each hole. I would think you should look at the burner to see if some of the holes are clogged. Maybe poke each hole with something pointed and tiny. You would not want to enlargen any hole, but just make sure it is clean.

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 7:05PM
turbolover

That's what I thought but when I removed the sand from the tray I didn't see any holes. Maybe the sand acts like a conductor and spread out the flame?!?! I have no idea how it works. Anybody alse?

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 1:17AM
SeattlePioneer

It sounds like you have a gas log set installed in a conventional wood fireplace.

If so, the gas burner is usually a pipe that has holes drilled in the bottom of the pipe. The sand covers the burner pipe, and the gas infiltrates out the bottom of the burner, through the sand and should burn on the surface of the sand, also causing the ember material to glow.

The usual causes of a burner burning unevenly is a burner that is plugged up with debris or one where the steel pipe has been burned and damaged ---this is something usually fairly easy to see.

Since you didn't comment on any damage, I'd remove the burner from the fireplace, uncap both ends of the burner and clean it out with a brush.

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 5:39PM
turbolover

Ok, I think we are getting somewhere. I did see a pipe at the bottom of the sand box but didn't see any holes because you say they are at the bottom of the pipe. Now, is removing that pipe something that anybody can do or do I have to call up pros? Are there any gaskets or seals that I need to worry about?

Thanks

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 6:22PM
jca1

NO, just cut the gas off at the unit, remove the sand, and look to see how the tube is attached. Some of them are welded in place some are not, but you can figure out a way to clean it. Just remember, your messing with gas, be very cautious, make sure the gas is off all the time, and check carefully for leaks if you disconnect anything. A small stiff wire bent to fit does a great job to poke the holes, and then blow out the pipe with air.

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™