Wood Stove efficiency rating

razlOctober 29, 2007

I was reading an article from the Jotul site that mentioned "old" stoves with an efficiency rating of 70%-75% with a reduced air supply (as believed the case in most homes) would drop down to 35%-40%. The article went on to say newer stoves achieve up 80%, but only drop to 70%-75% under the same reduced air supply conditions.

What causes this reduced air supply? 1. The air-tightness of new home construction or 2. The closing of the fresh air intake on the stove itself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formula1

Could you link the article in? I'd like to read it as well, maybe then be better able to comment.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 8:44AM
fivelinks

I have a child with allergies and need to get the most "smoke free" stove I can. Does the ratings determine how much output of smoke a stove will have or does it one determine what goes up the chimney?

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 3:17PM
erik99

A large fire requires alot of air, so, think about what you're doing... you're sucking air out of the interior of your house, blowing it across a fire, and exhausting it up the chimney (meanwhile heating up some metal). That air you're sucking out of the interior of your house has to come from somewhere, so it leaks through the cracks here and there, but the bottom line is that it comes from the outside. Now, if the 'cracks' in your house are well sealed, it's harder for the stove to get that fresh air, so the fire naturally burns different. A stove that has a fresh air tube is the best bet.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 8:46PM
razl

See link below. Then go to the PDF.
Erik99, I understand the physics behind it, but respectfully, that was not my question. I'm asking whether Jotul is referring to the cause of "restriction" to 1)air infiltration thru the cracks in the house or 2)air intake on the stove itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Burning

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 1:57PM
turnage

I believe they are referring to a lack of combustion air inside the house - not closing the air intake on the stove.

The reason I think this is that some stove manufacturers offer an option for hook-up to an outside air duct; also some municipalities/building codes require this for installation.

If you want to do additional reading on the subject, go to woodheat.org and hearth.com. You'll find "to duct or not to duct" is pretty controversial.

I think the bottom line is that local building codes always prevail.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 6:10AM
More Discussions
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Sponsored Products
Satin Nickel Lead Free Instant Hot Water Dispenser and Heating Tank
Overstock.com
Contemporary Retractable Wall-Mount Pot Filler Faucet
Signature Hardware
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Paris Flower Market 17 in.
Home Depot
Handmade Integer Wall Hooks - Set of 6
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
36" Stainless Steel Range Hood Backsplash
Signature Hardware
Sea Glass Blue Pot Lid Holder Set
$9.99 | zulily
BAZZ 2.5 in. Recessed Brushed Chrome LED Lighting Fixture with Designed for Ceil
$39.99 | Home Depot
Furniture of America Lisle Dark Espresso Counter-height Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™