need small fireplace

gfacioOctober 4, 2008

I have a small fireplace measuring 25" wide 24 1/4" high and 16" deep. so far I have only found the Sierra 5300 Cricket to fit..is this a good insert? are their others that would be better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

I'm not familiar with the Sierra, but I think Jotul makes a small insert -- a gas-fired direct vent design -- that might fit. Jotul has an excellent reputation for making high quality products that are manufactured in Norway but assembled in Maine. In my experience, there was just one reservation -- their 800 # is not designed to handle "retail" issues. It's really for the contractors who install their products. So make sure you can trust the expertise and competence of your installer. But you'd want to do that any way. Installing these inserts is complicated and takes about a whole day. You really need to make sure they know what they're doing.

One more thing: when you figure out whether a particular insert will fit, you need first to make sure that it will fit into your existing firebox. That's self-evident. But you also have to make sure that the "clearances" are right -- these are the distances between the hot stuff and the combustible stuff. If your clearances are not right you might have to make some additional modifications to your fireplace surround, hearth and/or mantle. And make sure you do not have a code violation, or else your insurance will not cover you if you have a fire.

Decisions,decisions. This isn't straightforward, and it does cost. But in the end it will be worth it.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™