Non-slip rug on vinyl

frank1965February 7, 2009

Just put down Allure floor and can't find any rugs that are not latex backed. There's alot of olefin rugs but I think that is as bad as latex. I used latex on my kitchen vinyl before I knew better and it has never yellowed- lucky I guess. Don't want to chance it again though. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51

Why are you worried about a latex-backed rug? It won't stain vinyl or anything else. I've had sets of latex-backed runners in my kitchen for decades on both sheet vinyl and solid vinyl tile, with no issues at all.

They don't harm my hardwood floors, either. We always use padding underneath our handmade Orientals. You might be thinking of the old-style foam padding, which used to deteriorate and stick to flooring. The newer stuff, especially closed-cell latex, works great.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 7:26PM
frank1965

Well, the manufacturer explicitely states no latex backed rugs. Like I said I got away with it in the kitchen but with my luck I'll have a big yellow stain to look at for a long time.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 10:26PM
debo_2006

I was told NOT to use anything with a latex backing on our new vinyl because it will discolor the area. I have seen vinyl floors with discoloration from rugs and they look nasty.

Now, I will only use rugs without a backing. Yes, they move, but I'd rather keep my floor looking new then take any chances especially since the installer and salesperson explicidly said not to.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 12:50PM
wiley0

Don't know if this will work for you but I used to buy a spray stuff that I used on the backs of entry rugs in some condo buildings. It prevented them from sliding on ceramic entryways. I sprayed a six inch area on each end.

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
Ceramic wood tile into sunken living room?
Getting ready to remodel a house I am purchasing. Would...
m323
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Need help: c.1997 Hartco Pattern Plus 5000
Hello to anyone reading, and thanks. I have Hartco...
speaktodeek
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
Sponsored Products
Hand-Tufted Meadow Blue/ Gold Wool Rug (7'10 x 11'0)
Overstock.com
Green Chevron Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Rotunda Medallion 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Floral Burgundy/ Ivory Runner (2'3 x 22')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Moapa Taupe 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Loft Ivory Grains Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$225.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™