Bonded leather smell

doughboy17April 8, 2009

Help! Will this chemical smell go away? If so, how can I expedite it? Will it ever have a "real" leather smell?

I just received direct from the factory Palliser BONDED leather theater chairs and they have a heavy chemical odor. I thought I was purchasing real leather and feel mislead by the Internet retailer. I am discussing options with the retailer now and am quite frustrated. A big reason I wanted leather was the smell.

Thanks for your expert advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

This web site also offers great advice BEFORE you buy !

http://ths.gardenweb.com/search/

Here is a link that might be useful: leather seach

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 11:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

You will never get rid of that chemical smell because what you purchased is a chemical product, sorry. Bonded leather, otherwise known as Bicast, is illegal to sell as leather in every country EXCEPT the USA!

What you have is leather scraps chemically melted into a slurry, then this slurry is bonded to a polypropelene sheet. The material is then embossed (stamped) to look like grain and then painted. It is neither leather nor has the properties of leather as the natural bonds in real leather have been destroyed in the slurry process.

I would return it, if the merchant refuses to accept the return, or requires you to pay shipping AND represented to you as real leather, I would look at doing a credit card chargeback.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Living Room Furniture Recomendations
What brands of living room furniture compare to Durham...
tiffany2009
About Maffam
Give opinions about garden furniture Maffam. The main,...
dekabrina
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™