Pellet stove exhaust clearance

macgyvers2000October 25, 2010

Had an Ecoteck pellet stove installed in the basement this past weekend... the on-screen language conversion isn't perfect (Italish, if you will), but it's pretty close.

My question centers around the exhaust and necessary clearance. After rising a few feet from the stove, the exhaust pipe exits a cinder block wall roughly two feet above grade, putting it roughly 3 feet (give or take) below the bottom of the wood frame first floor. We're on a hill, so grade drops from top of the basement to the bottom as you travel along that wall.

The pipe is double-wall design with stainless steel inner core that ends in some form of diffusor (I haven't studied it yet from any closer than 10 feet away... been too busy enjoying it). In all, it sticks a good foot and a half away from the wall, which will make mowing an annoyance in that area, as well as likely causing all kinds of headaches and/or fines from the county association (they're real sticklers).

I know for wood frame construction at least a foot away from combustibles is accepted practice, but is this long pipe necessary considering it's coming out of bare block and is several feet away from wood/siding? Did the installers simply go with the old standby? I need to have them come back out and install a fresh air intake anyway (it's pulling from the room at the moment), so if they can cut back on the piping while they're here, that would be ideal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macgyvers2000

Never mind, I found out the reason. It seems the original installations were similar to a dryer vent (i.e., close to the wall), but the Venturi effect of winds whipping up the side of the house was causing issues with the positive pressure in the stoves (and they automatically shut off in such cases). Bumping the extension out 12-18" solved that problem, but damn does it look ugly.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
Sponsored Products
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Front Row Seats 17 in. x
Home Depot
Concord Satin Nickel Wallmount Pot-filler Kitchen Faucet
Overstock.com
Cavaliere-Euro Four-Speed 30-Inch Under-Cabinet Range Hood
Overstock.com
Tray Storage Base
CliqStudios Cabinets
Bayou Classic 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet
Overstock.com
Kendal Lighting RPK80 Series 3-Light 4 ft. Satin Nickel Pendant Track Lighting K
Home Depot
Base Spice Drawers
CliqStudios Cabinets
Bond Manufacturing Fire Places Wood Stoves & Hardware Sevilla 36 in. Steel
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™