Gas fireplace won't work

jgclancyOctober 10, 2010

I have a Superior GHC-5500NE-2 electronic ignition gas fireplace with Robertshaw SP745 ignition module.

When the wall switch is flipped the ignitor clicks and pilot valve opens lighting the pilot but main valve never opens and it all shuts down.

I do NOT see a sensor of any kind with the pilot. What tells the module to send 24v to open main valve (MV)? Is there some type of sensor in the valve?

The SP745 module is older and finding any details on it has problematic.

Thanks for any info

jgclancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paddy_99

Try using a screwdriver handle to tap on the main valve after the pilot lights. My furnace would do this when I first tried lighting it after being off all summer.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
semenian

I tried to post a question about the jotul fireplace insert we had installed, and find it to not work; and the dealer wanting to charge $138 for another service call. The insert was installed by the dealer in Jan 2010 and I've had two calls and it still does not work. On one call they changed the venting, which was apparently installed improperly, and on the other indicated it was the faulty remote for which they were to get me another--and have not. Does this sound reasonable? The problem is that once the pilot and burner is lit they go out in about two to four minutes. This happens over and over. Any help?S

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™