Low-Profile Box Spring

totallyconfusedApril 12, 2009

Hi everyone. I need to purchase two mattress/box spring sets and I really don't like the super thick mattress they sell today. The salesman recommended getting a low-profile box spring, which he said would be about 4 inches lower than a regular one. Has anyone ever used one? Are there any issues with them that I should know about? Both beds will have a headboard/footboard and side rails. Will the lower box spring make it a nusance to make the bed with the side rails? I'm assuming if I want to use a dust ruffle it will have to be shortened by 4 inches.

Thanks,

Totally Confused

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suero

I have the lower box spring. The advantage is that the thick mattress fits my existing headboard -- the mattress would have been too high against the headboard with a regular box spring thickness, and I don't need a ladder to climb into bed (shades of the princess and the pea).
You do have to shorten a dust ruffle, if you want to use one, but the amount of dust ruffle showing under the side rails may look odd, since you'll only have a few inches showing.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 8:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

They don't work with most side-rail wooden beds. Box springs are designed to sit appx. 1" above the top of the side rails (most box springs are 8" in height). If you go with a lo-pro box spring, and it sits below your rail, you'll never be able to get a fitted sheet on the mattress - its a knuckle-buster.

There are plenty of high-quality mattresses that are still standard size. Royal Pedic and Shifman are two brands that have excellent bedding products and have matts in the 8 to 9 inch range.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
I want to make a sofa box cushion the right size.
I have two sofas, that I would like to re-upholster....
pisley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™