Low-Profile Box Spring

totallyconfusedApril 12, 2009

Hi everyone. I need to purchase two mattress/box spring sets and I really don't like the super thick mattress they sell today. The salesman recommended getting a low-profile box spring, which he said would be about 4 inches lower than a regular one. Has anyone ever used one? Are there any issues with them that I should know about? Both beds will have a headboard/footboard and side rails. Will the lower box spring make it a nusance to make the bed with the side rails? I'm assuming if I want to use a dust ruffle it will have to be shortened by 4 inches.

Thanks,

Totally Confused

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suero

I have the lower box spring. The advantage is that the thick mattress fits my existing headboard -- the mattress would have been too high against the headboard with a regular box spring thickness, and I don't need a ladder to climb into bed (shades of the princess and the pea).
You do have to shorten a dust ruffle, if you want to use one, but the amount of dust ruffle showing under the side rails may look odd, since you'll only have a few inches showing.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 8:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecollector

They don't work with most side-rail wooden beds. Box springs are designed to sit appx. 1" above the top of the side rails (most box springs are 8" in height). If you go with a lo-pro box spring, and it sits below your rail, you'll never be able to get a fitted sheet on the mattress - its a knuckle-buster.

There are plenty of high-quality mattresses that are still standard size. Royal Pedic and Shifman are two brands that have excellent bedding products and have matts in the 8 to 9 inch range.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Restoration Hardware at a Discount??
I love the furniture from RH but it is way out of my...
pooky
Anyone else sick of the spam?
Spam, as in "Pro" members linking to their...
sushipup1
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
Quality Patio Furniture Manufacturer/Type Recommendations
Building new home with outdoor living/patio area. ...
Karen Redding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™