Can radiant heat be used with hardwood floors?

twingleFebruary 14, 2013

My husband wants hardwood floors in our kitchen. My house is on a crawl space. I want radiant heat. Can we do a hardwood floor with radiant heat?? I live in the Northeast where it can get pretty cold in the winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JetSwet

Yes its possable but the heating coils will have to run between the floor joists or if you did a laminate then that would be layed over heating mat. You will want to make shore the hard wood floor you choose is rated for over radiant heat.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Warmboard_Radiant

Yes. You can absolutely do hardwood with radiant. Some systems are more difficult and less efficient than others, but you can definitely make it work. There have been concerns in the past with other systems providing an uneven heating surface which can prematurely warp and age the wood. Instances of this actually happening are extremely rare, but can be an issue if the wood is not treated properly prior to installation. If you plan to only do a kitchen, an electric radiant mat might be the perfect solution. You may just want to double-check electricity rates in your area. Here in California, electric radiant is extremely expensive to operate.

I would recommend you speak to the manufacturer of the hardwood you decide on using and see what they recommend. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™