most efficient pellet stove 'distribution fan' setting.

scrynOctober 17, 2008

hi, we just purchased a new Harmon pellet stove to replace our older pellet stove.

The older stove just had the auger speed and "interior" combustion speed fan. The distribution fan was just on full all the time.

The new harmon allows you to adjust the distribution fan speed. This is confusing me. After the stove gets warm wouldn't it be most energy efficient to have the distribution fan on full so that all the heat is blown into the room?? Is there a reason to have the fan on a lower setting?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikesj

I run my Harmon with the distribution fan on full and just use the temp setting to turn it on/off. I guess that if your stove was in your living room you might want to turn the distribution fan to a lower setting from time to time.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nordikwolf

I run my Harman at 1/3 - 1/2. Logic being that I wanted to heat the air up adequately before exiting. I figured that when the air exits, it'll be 'warmer' exiting at a slower speed and will maintain a higher core temperature.

This logic seemed to work well when I applied a lower distribution fan speed when cooling my car during the summer.

I have a ceiling fan running throughout the heating season, along with a floor fan to 'direct' the heated air into the other living areas.

Just my .02, but thought I'd chime in.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™