Jotul 450 Kennebec Newbie... How many break in fires???

hatrickOctober 15, 2009

I had a Jotul 450 Kennebec installed a couple of months ago and I am finally firing her up since it is now getting into the 30's. I was wondering how many break in fires I need to burn to get it properly "seasoned" before I can open her up.

I have already made two small fires the past two nights. The first one was very small and mild (1-2 small logs max at a time) which I burned for about 3 hours. It was hot enough to get the blower to come on but not hot enough to raise the room temperature more than a degree or two. The second burn was a bit hotter and did raise the room temp about 5 degrees but I was able to sit 12-18" away from the stove and it wasn't too hot that I had to move (even with the blower going in my face).

Do I need to do any more break in fires or can I safely crank it up and let her rip??

Thanks,

Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amarettonc

We just got a Jotul Kennebec installed. Here is some info from Jotul's website:

Break -in fires

A series of three break-in fires are required. The first is to raise the surface temperature of the stove to 200 degrees. Another is to raise the surface temperature to 300 degrees. And yet another is to raise the surface temperature to 400 degrees. A stovetop thermometer is required for this procedure and the stove should be allowed to cool to room temperature between fires. Note: Use less wood. You can always add more. All current Jøtul wood-burning appliances are EPA certified and non-catalytic. EPA certified wood-burning appliances are not 'airtight.' Therefore, exact temperatures may not be able to be maintained. These temperatures are ideal and should be used as a guide for proper appliance break-in.

So it sounds like you need one more break in fire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jotul getting started with wood

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Sponsored Products
Calhoun Leather Loveseat - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Darien Distressed Bronze 14" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
SW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Pressed Glass Pendant - Bowl by Tom Dixon
$370.00 | Lumens
Decorative Lamp: 24 in. Amber Table Lamp CLI-LS490319
Home Depot
River City Clocks MD898-17 Blacksmith Swinging Hammer & Moving Waterwheel Musica
Hayneedle
Sure Fit Stretch Pinstripe Short Dining Room Chair Cover - 37384
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Lamps 72.5 in. Polished Steel Floor Lamp with Frost Glass Shade
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™