home depot carpet installation

kars1February 24, 2011

My search for carpet continues..........

Today I saw a "Martha Stewart" Shaw R2X carpet at Home Depot for $1.99/sqft.

They are having an installation "special" of $37 plus the cost of installing on stairs. A salesman at an independent store said they add additional charges on top of the sale price. Does anyone have experience with HD? How about with the Smartstrand Silk line they sell there?

Thanks!

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

They do like to add charges. The cheap install price is gimmicky to say the least, but it is real.If you are doing a smaller amount of square footage...an independent can normally peel the price even with the so called cheap installation.I will not get into how the do the cheap install as we offer that also, but there is no free lunch ever..HD lowes..no one can actually install it for that...they pay normal rate to their subs.On large jobs over 60 yards it does start to become an advantage for you price wise.
HD will always price match anyone..but one thing HD can match...and that is quality, communication, and customer service of a flooring retailer. Smartstrand silk is Mohawk off the Mohawk sorona color wall..Martha Stewart is shaw Anso. They do nickel and dime you at the box stores (charge you for tack strips, have installer measures..which I never agree with...it will always be more footage when an installer measures IMO, and they just line item you to death). But most of all, they will not match customer service and that my friend is worth something.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 9:44PM
brickeyee

Work by the low bidder of unknown quality, but it is cheap.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 12:16PM
mike_home

I priced carpeting at Home Depot and Lowes in the fall. They are not cheap. I bought a Queen Anso nylon carpet at Home Depot 5 years ago. The price back then was very good. Now I find I got better prices at my local carpet dealer.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
LVT or Tile
I am trying to decide what to replace my carpet in...
hlariscy
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™