Pellet Stove - Harman P68 vs. QuadraFire Classic Bay 1200

ohmzonedSeptember 18, 2011

Hi Everyone,

Live in Philadelphia, trying to supplement my poor duct work in the house. 2 story cape with an additional "media room" and then a master directly above it. Large master 25X13 or so.

I am looking to heat a total of 2000 sq. feet pretty much. I have done a lot of research and I have narrowed it down to the Harman P68 and the QuadraFire Classic Bay 1200 Pellet Insert stoves. I can possibly do the freestanding one, but right now my idea is to use an existing corner closet to frame out one of the inserts and make it a focal point.

I went to a fireplace store today and the guy was very knowledgeable and he was able to keep up with my onslaught of questions which I pretty much knew the answers to, based on my research. He did an excellent job was not too pushy, and made a suggestion to go with the QuadraFire 1200. I came home and read the reviews on the internet, and to say they least- they were awful. The ignition is problematic, and they do not heat as well as specified in the manuals. All in all, it did not seem like a quality product.

I logged into ConsumerReports online, and it was not even one of their top 10 suggested models. So I started to look at the Harman P68. There were fewer reviews online, but the ones that I could find were much more positive than the QuadraFire. Also the customer service comments were better for the Harman.

I plan to burn the pellets when I am home from work in the evening until bed, and on weekends. My house has brand new insulated siding, however the rest of the insulation is bad and I would say the house i very drafty. Also, the first floor (where the stove would go) is mostly hardwood. The kitchen (which would also get heated) is tile and granite, so there is a lot of biomass to heat up.

Thoughts, tips? suggestions? I am pretty well read on the "how" of the stoves, but I would really appreciate any feedback on the models of pellet stove described.

Thanks so much!

Ohm

More Discussions
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™