Restore or paint this table?

BJB-TXMarch 18, 2014

This week, I was lucky enough to find this table at Goodwill for $10. It was quite dirty but I was able to clean it. The pull-out shelf was missing, but as you can see, I've replaced it, but haven't painted or stained it yet.

A label on the bottom identified it as made by the Hickory Chair Company, James River Collection. It's beautifully hand-crafted, very solid. There is a 2-inch veneer border along the top that is damaged. I'm not skilled enough to repair it. Is there anything I can rub on it to improve it?

My other option is to paint just the border and the unfinished pull-out shelf. I was thinking of painting them black. What say ye all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BJB-TX

Here is the main damage, although it doesn't show up well in the photo. Where you see the white speck, the veneer is gone around that area, leaving a dark, dull place.

Can someone identify the wood on the table and the border or is that too difficult in this photo? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 9:33PM
bobismyuncle

I would not paint it -- it's a beautiful table.

I can't see the extent of the veneer damage from the photo. I would do a burn-in repair on this and it would mostly disappear. That's not an easy method to get equipped and skilled for, though. You might be able to get it filled with a wax filler. Since it's a burl, add a couple of colors and it should blend in fairly well. Level with an credit card or lotto-scratch-off. Then buff with a piece of paper grocery bag. If the veneer is loose, you can drip in a drop or two of CA (super-)glue.first.

Here is a link that might be useful: video on how to do it

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:11AM
freethinker99

The table is very nice I would hire a qualified tech to repair and refinish this table. I don't think I would attempt it myself.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:33AM
BJB-TX

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I didn't paint it!

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
the Sealy Posturepedic 'Belmont' from Costco?
Hello-- Has anyone out there purchased the Sealy Posturepedic...
lenvt
Is using natural latex foam for sofa seat cushions going overboard?
I know this must seem like an odd question, but 100%...
texasgal47
Leather Furniture Expo
I'm considering purchasing a sofa by Elite Leather,...
Jen44012
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™