uneven floor transition

cakieFebruary 3, 2011

We remodeled the kitchen in our 100-year-old house about seven years ago. We installed a new subfloor and leveled the sloping floor to make it easier to install cabinets and appliances. There is a 4-foot-wide archway to the dining room. At the time, the dining room was carpeted, so the transition from level to sloping was disguised.

Now we are installing hard surface flooring in the dining room and the transition at the doorway is a problem. The gap is about 1/8-inch on the left side but increases to about 3/4-inch on the right side. I don't want to level the dining room because it leads into the living room and I would prefer to have these two floors even and continuous.

What can I use for a transition strip? Do I just have to custom-cut a sloping piece of wood myself? I think I can do it using my skil saw and a fence to cut against to make sure I get the angle right. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevec3030

Make the whole transition strip 3/4 of an inch out of a pice of hardwood floor of ir choice

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 9:52PM
joep_2009

bump.. I have the same problem. How would it work with the entire 3/4 inch piece?

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 11:59AM
MCMesprit

We just installed porcelain tile in our kitchen remodel that is adjacent to original oak parquet flooring in the back dining/family room. The transition is about 12 feet long and widens from 1/2 inch wide to almost an inch. The height difference is about 1/2 inch. After considering all the alternatives, our GC had his carpenters create a custom reducer from oak. It is about 3 inches wide and slopes down from the tile height to the parquet. We stained it a complementary color, gave it several coats of poly and it looks and works great.

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 10:29PM
HSOOH

MCMesprit, I would love to see pics of what your GC made since I'm having the same issue. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Looking for a specific tile, can you help me find it?
We are looking for a terracotta tile to go in our kitchen,...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
ANeed advice on installation of wood look porcelain tiles, Help!
Help! wood look porcelain tiles seem durable and a...
xavalexa
Sponsored Products
Reversible Rectangular: 5 ft. 8 in. x 8 ft. 8 in. Rug Pad
$49.95 | Bellacor
Gold Stripe Paper Drum Lamp Shade 10x13x10 (Spider)
$36.99 | Lamps Plus
Foster Indoor/Outdoor Rug 4' x 6' - GRAPHITE/IVORY
$359.00 | Horchow
Earl Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Howard Miller Neilson Grandfather Clock - 611102
Hayneedle
AHB Padova Bar Stool - 130848CC-M42
$89.95 | Hayneedle
Currey & Company 84 x 42 Rectangular Factory Dining Table
LuxeDecor
Belmont 5-Tier Etagere