Best Way to Clean Laminate Wood Floors?

mmoo1978February 17, 2012

Hello! I have laminate wood floors, and dust them with a dust mop. However, I'm not sure what to use to really *clean* them thorougly. I am afraid to use too much water or that might ruin them... Advice?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabbythecat

What are the instructions from your flooring manufacturer? That is what I would follow - assuming you *have* those instructions. Otherwise, I think vinegar/water is always safe, or the cleaner from one of the flooring manufacturers - I think I use spray cleaner from Bruce (Laminate) flooring. I put it in the holder for my damp mop, dilute it with water (random amounts) to make it stretch - and clean away! Vinegar/water is more inexpensive, but the flooring cleaner really doesn't cost much since you aren't flooding the floor with it!

You have to be careful with other cleaners - some people use ammonia, or Windex for instance(shudder) - they might void the flooring warranty and probably risk ruining the finish on the floor.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:17AM
stir_fryi

I use no cleaners. Just a well-wrung out (water only) terry cloth bonnet and flat mop.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:08AM
tishkabibble

Less than year ago we had DuPont's Real Touch Elite laminate flooring installed in our kitchen. It appears that the seams are collecting dirt as they are getting darker. When I called DuPont, they were NOT at all friendly or helpful, and said this problem had never before been reported. I'd been using Bruce's Laminate Spray Cleaner. Wondering if any other DuPont Real Touch Elite owners are running into same problem?

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™