national electrical code for gas fireplace switch

reedie4September 29, 2009

Is there a national electrical code requiring a cut-off switch, for the blower, in the room with a gas fireplace?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

We have a gas direct vent insert. As far as I can tell, there no cut-off switch for the blower. You seem to believe that there should be one. Why?

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:43PM
reedie4

I'm getting a direct vent gas fireplace installed. My electrician insists there is a national code that requires a shut-off switch for the blower, for service safety. My installer and the manufacturer don't know what he's talking about. I was hoping someone might know if there is or isn't a national electrical code requiring this switch.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 11:23PM
dave777_2009

Our blower on our direct vent gas fireplace - is a piece of... Well - it isn't quality.

Makes a lot of noise, and minimal airflow. Fireplace is nice. Anyway - a switch exists on our blower - to turn it on, or off. Plus, control the speed of this blower...

A vented fireplace doesn't have a lot of electrical going to it... Not sure why your electrician is so sure a safety switch is required. Our fireplace has a thermo temp switch on it - it won't turn on unless the fireplace is at a cerain temp...

But Service Safety?? Just turn it off, or better yet - unplug it!. Ours just plugs into a wall outlet directly behind the fireplace.

I'm not a licensed electrician btw.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 2:46AM
reedie4

According to Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
Every motor has to have a disconnecting means, and the disconnect has to be within sight of the motor location. Reference NEC 430.102(B). So you can only take credit for the breaker at the main panel as being the disconnecting means if that breaker is within sight of the motor location, and is cabable of being locked open.

That said, I don't think the manufacturer of a motor is required to provide the disconnecting means. It can be furnished and installed by the electrical contractor.

My electrician says it is only required if the blower is direct wired and the code falls under motor disconnect. So I guess that makes it officially required by the national electrical code.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
resipsa44
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
Sponsored Products
Winston Exeter Cushion Ultra Swivel Tilt Lounge Chair - M22020-ESP-193
Hayneedle
Hands Around the World´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials -
$255.95 | Bellacor
Black Gold All Organic - 2 cu.ft. - SUGRBG2
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Brownie Gifts Lime Green Giraffe Diaper Bag - LMGIRDB
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Hydrofarm Digital Temperature Controller for Heat Mat - MTPRTC
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Winston Southern Cay Woven Stationary Bar Stool - M76014
$631.50 | Hayneedle
Sound Asleep Room-Darkening Blue River Curtain Collection
Overstock.com
Winston Belvedere Sling Patio Dining Collection