top loading wood stove?

booboo60September 25, 2008

Dh and I are looking at wood stoves and some friends have told us about this top-loading stove that burns very efficiently. Has anyone heard of this type of stove?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
old-vt-crafter

Vermont Castings made this type of stove for years. They're CAT stoves and allow you to top load.
www.vermontcastings.com

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 7:38AM
nhyankee

There are also some non-catalytic top loaders. We have a Quadra Fire Isle Royale and love it. The Harman TL300 and Lopi Leyden are others.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 10:53PM
martykiernan

AWESOME forum BTW.. I love the fact that you've put woodstoves into your gardening and home forum.. love it..Thanks so much for putting this one up!!
My Husband and I also have a top loader. Very convienient! Of course you can always go to any Hearth store and look at them, they're everywhere, I'd go with them anyday for sure! We have a pic on Martys blog.. (my husband) of our stove. If you get the chance check out Martys Blog. See you soon Garden web! whoop

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Cast Fireplaces

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 1:29PM
HerringboneD28

We had a top loading Vermont Castings stove for years and loved it. When I went shopping for a new stove this spring, top loading was one of the features that I insisted on. We settled on the Lopi.

Top loading allows you to easily load to the top of the woodbox and choke it down for overnight burns. Makes loading a lot cleaner too.

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 1:12PM
frank1890

how much do LOPI's cost? I am looking to heat my first floor(small) 600 sq feet thanks for any advice!

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 8:23PM
nhyankee

Frank the only top loader that would heat such as small space would be the Vermont Castings Intrepid. Given all the drama that that company has had this year and the uncertainty of their continued viable operation I would stay away from that brand.

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™