old heatilator

leesa49221September 26, 2007

I recently bought a used 47 inch Heatilator fireplace. It was previously used with a vented gas log but can also be used for wood.My question is, can it be used with a vent free log? I purchased it thinking I would use it in my basement with a vent free log after capping off the vents. can this be done? if not we will use it in our 4 season room that we want to open up to the rest of the house and turn into a dining room. The 4 season room is 15 x 35. It has an electric baseboard heater which is insufficient.There is a hot tub at the east end of the room which we talked about moving outside. We decided instead to build a wall to enclose it since the room is big enough and add a sliding glass door to access it.Anyway, my question is can you turn a vented fireplace into a vent free?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

Unvented equipment is not worth the risks of death or injury that are involved.

In theory, the equipment is safe if operated according to the manufacturer's directions, but I have yet to encounter a user who read, understood and followed all the warnings and directions supplied by a manufacturer.

There are usually a LOT of them.

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™