What to put over Ceramic Tile

mahnrutFebruary 25, 2012

We have a currently 3 season porch with ceramic tile floor. That room is over a sealed but not heated garage and the floor gets cold (it was an outside porch with concrete floor which connects to the concrete ceiling of the garage) and there is of course quite a bit of heat loss from the 1985 double glazed windows. To make it more comfortable underfoot we would like to either put hardwood over the tile (with a gap for insulation) or wall to wall carpet. It seems we would have to drill the tiles around the edges to install wall to wall strips and the problem there is that we have low Runtal radiators on 2 walls (see the pics). I am also not sure if there is enough space depth wise for hardwood. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

All I would do would be to occasionally replace the area rug. Provided it covers most of the tile and you installed it over a good pad, you get the comfort you want and the added bonus of not wrecking the tile.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 9:50PM
Floortech

You have many choices if you go carpet. You can emboss the grout lines and do a double stick rubber cushion with carpet. You also can glue the tack strip and stretch the carpet right over what you have. Or a floating real hardwood would be pretty simple....a good flooring store can look at your situation and give you many options....

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:23AM
mahnrut

Thanks for both suggestions. I wondered if we had enough height under the radiators for the hardwood with an insulating gap. I will look for a good flooring store to come and look.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:23PM
mahnrut

We have decided on a Karastan nylon midweight (about 5.50/sq ft was the price in the store). They say that the glue they use for the strips will not pull off once the carpet is stretched onto them (I read this in another posting here). It is an old-time shop that we have used once before with wool Karastan fitted carpet and they have their own workers so I imagine they won't be the cheapest but I don't want any issues with installation. We are just about to get a quote from them for the room which is just under 20' by 10' and the store recommended using a 40 lb synthetic felt. Any ballpark figures would be very helpful. We are in Washington DC which is not low rent. Thanks a lot.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Ceramic wood tile into sunken living room?
Getting ready to remodel a house I am purchasing. Would...
m323
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting Accessories: Sea Gull Lighting Address Numbers Letters
$3.69 | Home Depot
Prague Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Quiozel 'Laguna' Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Slate Tile: MS International Flooring Noche/Chiaro Copper Scudo 4 in. x 12 in.
$11.98 | Home Depot
SomerTile 17.75-inch Eclypsis Marron Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (Case of 7)
Overstock.com
DreamLine Shower Bases QWALL-5 32 in. x 60 in. x 76-3/4 in. Standard Fit Shower
Home Depot
Maritz Double-Tiered Outdoor Side Table - Black, 18" Round, Patio Furniture
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
SomerTile 7.75x7.75-inch Montage Lumine Decor Ceramic Wall Tiles (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™