Flooring for screened porch

kimberlyrkbFebruary 10, 2013

We have an added on porch on our lower level. The space is about 25' x 20', so it's generously sized. It is a slab on the ground; the slab has indoor-outdoor carpet on it. The porch is not a true screened porch, rather it has windows, however, there is no heating/cooling in this space. During the winter, the temps can get to around zero degrees Farenheit, and it's as cold on the porch as it is outside. Our summer temps sometimes reach the 90's and even 100, although that is rare.

We want to replace the carpet, but what is a good option for the wide temperature swings? I am also a bit cost conscious, as we can only use this porch for maybe 4 months of the year - I don't want to sink a ton of money into a room that we cannot use year 'round. And I'd rather not use carpet again if I can avoid it.

Would vinyl plank flooring work? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Maybe polish the slab and then put down area rugs? When bad weather comes, roll up the rugs for storage.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 3:45PM
theresa2

This product looks nice. I know nothing about the quality, but they say you can contact them for samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: KONTIKI

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 8:43AM
kimberlyrkb

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out each idea. I like the look of polished concrete, so that is promising. The deck flooring looks nice but may be more cost prohibitive. Thank you!

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:07PM
kimberlyrkb

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out each idea. I like the look of polished concrete, so that is promising. The deck flooring looks nice but may be more cost prohibitive. Thank you!

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:45PM
greendesigns_gw

Vinyl isn't suited to the large temperature swings. It will expand and contract too much, as well as become pretty brittle at that low temperature. Porcelain tile will be your most durable bet. You can get the ones that look like wood if you want a more "indoor" type look. Polished and stained concrete is a good choice too, but it's one of those "either/or" situations in that if you do the concrete, it's a lot harder to go back and put tile down if you don't like the maintenance of the concrete. And if you do tile, you will find it difficult to remove and smooth the slab out enough for a finished surface later. One or the other. And if you change your mind, you have to rent a concrete grinder to change the surface.

I'd also suggest putting in some underfloor heating cables under the tile to extend the season. It won't make it inhabitable during the coldest months, but it will make your feet warm during the cooler months when you can cuddle with a blanket.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™