Fiber vs slab rubber carpet pad over hydronic heating

Susan001February 16, 2012

Have experience with either fiber (5/8 ") or slab rubber foam (125 oz., I believe 7/16") carpet pads installed over Thermal Board or hydronic heating? Wool carpet will be installed above the pad. Have heard preferences for both. Is the slab rubber resilient or more cushiony? Is the fiber more cushiony?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mic111

You may want to consult this table to look at how much insulation your adding that will be blocking your heat.

We installed tile over our radiant heat on the main floor and carpet with pad on the second floor. We have a main floor master so don't really use the second floor. In addition our floor plan is very open so the heat from the main floor rises and I don't think our upper floor system turns on very much.

In terms of the carpet type I know we didn't choose wool but some sort of synthetic berber. We also installed the type of floor padding that the store said was specifically designed to go over radiant heat. Make sure your store knows that you want it to go over radiant heating and they may be able to look at the specs. to see what is recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparative R-Values of Flooring and Subfloors

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 9:43PM
freedee

I have radiant heat, the kind with the pex water tubes. In the rooms with marble tiles and in the stamped concrete slab it is great! I love it! over hardwood, it's not so great. I'm pretty sure that under carpeting it would not be very effective at all. I suggest you change you choice of flooring material or forget the radiant heat altogether.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 12:47PM
GreenDesigns

To work, radiant heat has to be able to radiate. (Look back to your junior high science classes.) Insulating it from that with pad and carpeting will greatly lessen it's effectiveness. If this is a new build, you could investigate placing it in the lower third of the wall instead, but that is a MUCH more difficult installation technique and is complicated by furniture placement as well.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™