Is your DH a sucker for all the money scams?

liketolearnMay 3, 2003

Here we go again... DH's friend gave our name as a referral for someone to contact! It's not the first time they have given our name (I assure you it will be the last). Thankfully I caught the call and ended it. This is not the first time this friend has gotten involved in one of these money loosing schemes and he just never seems to learn (DH is a slow learner but at least he's not any poorer).

The internet is great for getting information to support my "NO" decision. I have been able (or maybe just lucky) to be able to convince DH each time before spending any money that it wasn't worth it. This time the pitch is for UCC Total Home which is a "buying club". An internet search details lots of complaints from customers and warnings issued by journalists and TV clips. Dodged another bullet ...

So anyone else have a DH/DW or friend who's always falling for these schemes/scams?

What happened or were you able to dodge the bullet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

I am lucky so far--my husband is really alert to these scams and it is so easy to get talked into something. Everyone makes it sound like you get all these extras for next to nothing. I almost got caught in a magazine deal, but was able to get out of it because I wrote a letter canceling it sent it certified mail return receip and then put in a complaint with the attorney general's office. This state is real good with helping people out. They have a 3 day waiting period and that really helps.
Marie

Bookmark   May 9, 2003 at 8:29PM
tinatark

Not the $$ making scams, usually, but my DH is prone to watching late night tv (read - INFOMERCIALS!) Fortunately, usually he writes down the # for me to call, then I either forget to call or lose the #!! :-)

Bookmark   May 11, 2003 at 11:48PM
joyfulguy

Hello again, all,

If even a few (one?) of these guys were in some great business making the $10,000./month that some claim ...

... do you figure that they'd be fishing on the internet to get some poor sucker to follow their worm?

... or hiring a bodyguard to keep the neighbours from battering their door down to find out how they were doing it?

Good wishes to everyone for a (legitimately) prosperous future,

joyful guy

Bookmark   June 13, 2003 at 2:08AM
Sylvia

My dh got sucked into selling insurance to self-employeds. This was a nationally known company. He worked incredibly hard and lost money for three years running. If the IRS didn't have a limit on how many years you could lose money he'd probably still be at it.

We are still digging out of the hole.

Bookmark   June 23, 2003 at 7:57PM
gina_in_fl

Sylvia, I think there is a five year limit. :(

Bookmark   July 1, 2003 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
nene45
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™