Osburn 2200 Fireplace Insert Installation

eric859September 29, 2010

Yesterday I came across a startup company selling fireplace inserts. The guy I spoke with was very nice and seemed to be willing to bend over backwards for my business. His final prices were about 1/3 less than local places so I went with them. I ordered an Osburn 2200 fireplace insert. They are coming Friday to install it. I'm concerned that they may cut corners because of their inexperience and/or extremely low prices. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice to make sure they install it right.

For example, is there a minimum type of chimney pipe thickness I should make sure they use? Is there anything that I need to make sure they do as far as placement of the insert or the connection of the insert to the chimney piping? I spoke with one company that said they use some sort of metal sheet that gets fabricated onsite that goes between the top of the insert and the inside top of the fireplace to add a level of heat insulation. I didn't see anything like that in the Osburn manual though. Is it necessary? Should I make sure these guys do this?

Basically, the low price I'm paying has me worried and I want to make sure that the install is up to code and done right.

Thanks

Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike-mar

I have an osburn 2200 insert and IT LOOKS GREAT BUT IT
"DOES NOT"RASE THE TEMP.IN THE ROOM IT IS INSTALD IN. I GOT MORE HEAT FROM MY OLD FIREPLACE. I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TO DO EVERYTHING THAT WAS SUGESTED BY 6 OR 7 DIFERANT INSTALLERS AND CONTRACTORS IN AN ATEMPT TO TRY AND GET HEAT INCLUDING INSULATING AROUND THE STOVE AND CHIMNEY.RAISING AND LOWERING CHIMENY. I HAVE THE STOVE FOR TWO YEARS AND IM LOOKING TO PURCHASE AREAL ONE. OH GOOD LUCK GETTING HELP FROM THE MANUFACTURE S.B.I.PHONE#418 527-3060 SORRY FOR YOUR PURCHASE.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 12:10PM
woodburning2ez

When connecting the insert make sure they use a 6" liner and they run it from the insert to the top of the chimney and then tie it in to a chimney cap. make sure they use a fire rated insulation to stuff around the damper to prevent cool air from returning back down the chimney and into your home.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 12:37PM
woodburning2ez

Just checking... how did your installtion go ...have you been using the fireplace

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™