How do I clean the Bluestone on my fireplace?

kaisermustSeptember 25, 2009

Totally redecorating the living room. New paint, new furniture, new carpet but keeping 30 yr old Bluestone fireplace, runs the entire wall. But have two issues: (1) 30 yr old water rust stain on mantle from where original owner had plants where water spilled over (house has iron water). When we first moved into the house we tried everything to remove rust stain, hydrochloric acid, etc., etc. Any sure fire ways to remove this ugly orange rust stain from bluestone? (2) face of bluestone around fireplace screen has some soot built up over the years (not super bad but you can notice it) and fireplace hearth step is just plain dirty from 30 yrs use. What can we use on the bluestone to clean it??? Have tried spic n span and other cleaners over the years but still looks dirty. Suggestions, please. Want to do this before the new carpet is laid.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

No guarantees, but for the soot stains try a strong solution of TSP. A paste made from TSP and something like Fuller's earth left on may also be worth a try, but test on a hidden place first.

Iron stain: There's a product called Iron Out which is intended for water treatment equipment. I have seen it used (again in paste form) very successfully to remove rust stains from concrete. Details of how to use it are no doubt available online. Bluestone is highly porous; therefore stains are hard to remove so you may just have to live with them.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 5:53AM
More Discussions
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™