Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplaces (first time buyer)

yogi_bear_79September 8, 2010

We are building a new home in western PA. The fireplace will be within a 20 x 20 great room. The great room is open to all main living spaces, and there is a loft towards the front of the house overlooking the great room. The house will have radiant floor heat. We are not expecting to heat our home with this unit. However, we would appreciate it more if it would provide some degree of heat.

My local supplier carries Napoleon, and Heat & Glo. Of the two we have found a few from Heat & Glo that we favor. We have also seem some units from FMI, available via an online store. There are probably other local sources within a 100 miles or so, but we are just starting.

With that said, are there any quality/price issues with Heat & Glo, or FMI? We are trying to stay with a rectangle box, no arches, all black, no brass, or silver colors. I'm thinking a blower/circulator would be beneficial. We do not intend to buy the mantel, stone or hearth at the same location.

Am I missing anything, any words of wisdom to point me down the right path?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaib

We are adding on a 20x20 which will run int a great room; same story.

Having done the research and purchase, we've learned quite a bit.

How much are you willing to spend? Will the unit be placed on an external wall? How large will the hearth area be?

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™