French provincial needs to life!

East_Texas_MelodyMarch 5, 2011

I have inherited my childhood French provincial dresser, mirror and matching bedside table that I want to use but it is in desperate need of updating. They are really well made and have stood the test of time. The finish has not fared so well. I have no idea what to do with it I just want to give them new life. I'm not having a lot of luck finding ideas on the internet or books on the subject. Unless I want to distress the wood, that isn't completely out of the question I'd just like to have more ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

I have a space at a local antique mall, and paint everything a pretty blue-gray, then antique it with a cocoa color to tone it down. Occasionally i'll give it a little distressing around the edges with sandpaper, but not too much. I also paint the old handles blue, then give them a dry-brushing with a metallic gold. I call this style 'Romantic French' and it's been fairly successful at my space in Austin, and works well with Cottage/Shabby Chic. It would also be pretty in a sage-y green color. ;o)

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 1:01AM
More Discussions
Couch identity help
Where can I find a similar couch(shape wise)? http://www.neodecodesigns.com/images/portfolio_images/trendybluecontemporary/6.JPG...
Sangeetha Selvaraj
Upholstery Fabric Durability
I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two...
3kidsonedogandus
Recommendation for high-end modern Asian furniture?
Aside from Berkeley Mills in Berkeley, CA, does anyone...
Cam Chan
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™