my fault, any hope?

chery2May 12, 2004

We had a huge tax bill + penalty this year, all due to ignorance. When we moved, I tossed all old tax files, bank statements older than 03, and vowed to use our new space for a better filing system; I'm saving EVERYTHING. Just yesterday came a letter from the state saying they were unable to find a state tax return from us for taxable year 2001. It's possible that was the one rare year we got a small refund, but I can't prove it. Assuming we DID pay, as we almost always owe, I've emailed my bank to see if they can access checks that old, since canceled checks don't come with our statements anymore.

The letter says the penalty is $144, but the interest column is blank. Is there anything I can do? Thanks, chery2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm assuming you do your own taxes, so you couldn't ask your accountant, or H&R Block, for copies?

    Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Son-in-law did them and saved them on his hard drive. He brought me copies this morning. Apparently, we were red-flagged for not PAYING; in 2001 we actually got a refund, which hasn't happened in many years.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 3:53PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
Do I need to give a 1099-misc to the lady who cleans for me?
For the first time ever, I began having a lady clean...
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™