Sell or toss used mattress??

weaseMarch 19, 2010

My wife and I have had our king matress and box springs for about 8 years. It's a pillowtop so there are now indentations on the top from where we sleep. It also has a weird stain on it from where cold medicine was spilled. Should we toss the matress and box springs or would someone buy this on Craiglist? It's a Sealy Posturepedic Plush Pillowtop.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

In some stats it's against the law to sell used mattresses....the way people get around it is to sell a bed, complete.
If your state allows....give it a try...ask $2...beats paying someone to haul it away.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:27PM
davey3000

It seems like would be hard to sell a used mattress. So many people are having trouble with bed bugs. I think folks would be afraid to buy a used one. And they charge you a few bucks to recycle a mattress. You have nothing to lose by posting it on Craigslist. See if anyone wants it, and if not, toss it.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 9:33AM
Happyladi

My daughter tried to sell a mattress on Craigslist with no luck, even for $50.00. So she listed it under free and she got several calls and it was gone within a couple of hours.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 5:26PM
vampiressrn

Most places that bring you a new mattress (if you have delivery) will take away your old one...this is a great deal and I highly suggest it. I thought I would give my Golden Retrievers a nice bed in their kennel, so when I had a mattress replaced, I had the delivery truck take the old box spring and I put the top mattress in the dog pen and covered it in blankets. 2 hours later I went out to the garage where their pen is and they had completely torn it up...those little juvenile delinquents...they had a wild party and I ended up having my handyman load it up in his truck and take it to the dump...LOL

I say toss it!!!

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 9:46PM
cearbhaill

I put a bed frame, a box springs, and a frame on Freecycle this week and had zero takers.
The next day I put it up for sale on Craig's List and sold it within one hour.

I also use spare mattresses for dog beds and my dogs have enjoyed them for years- they have a double and a twin right now, the double usually co-opted by a cat.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 11:32PM
beth4

You could contact your local Salvation Army or homeless or women's shelters to see if they could use a donated mattress and box springs. You would be able to deduct your donation from your 2010 income tax.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 6:11PM
raee_gw

There are also in several cities a charity devoted to recycling used furniture (here it is MAP Furniture Bank). They will pick up your item, and it will be provided free to families in need of furnishings (ie formerly homeless, or lost everything in a fire or flood) who has been referred to them from one of several social service agencies like the Salvation Army or Red Cross. They always need beds and mattresses. But if it is badly stained they won't take it.

My experience is that anything posted for free on Craigslist will be taken quickly.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
Where can I find this style bed for less?
We're looking for a new bed and the only bed styles...
pugluv1
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™