Couch Shopping - Confused on Quality

texasdadMarch 7, 2010

We are shopping for a couch and I'm confused on how to determine quality. Everybody seems to be concerned about the quality of the leather.

But the couch we have now the leather is as good a new but the frame is sagging. Actually it was replaced under warranty once for this same problem and is now sagging again out of warranty. I've had the bottom cover off and was surprised to find the frame is 100% pressboard. This is a Nautizi(?) couch for Dillard's.

I really like this set from Costco but do not know anything about the quality of it? Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambridge Leather Pushback at Costco

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
efloyd

I have done alot of research on this subject and still find myself a bit confused, but here is what I know. If you want a sofa that will last you need one with a solid hardwood frame and 8 way tied springs. This level of quality is gonna cost you, though...at least $4,000 for a sectional. Less for just a sofa. I would be surprised if Costco carries anything of this quality.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 6:33PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis

$4,000 for a sectional is like admitting you think you have extra money and should pay more taxes!

texasdad, did the frame on both the original and replacement couch go sagging in the same place?

Don't be surprised about the pressboard construction now. Folks build new houses with wafer board floors these days.

You're on the right track flipping over sofas and looking inside. Also beware of super long sofas or sectionals with high ground clearance and no center legs. If the "superstructure" doesn't have trusses like a bridge I bet it will fail.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 10:45PM
ycheng2

does Costco still offer warranty for that couch? I heard Costco has life time satisfactory warranty

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 11:48AM
texasdad

The couch replaced under warranty and the current one have frame damage in the exact same spot.

Costco does offer the lifetime satisfaction policy, but I'm not sure how that would work with a several year old couch? I guess it would be returnable?

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 8:23AM
Brent

You won't get good leather, a hard wood frame and 8 way at Cosco, nor will you find said couch for much under the $2500 price point, and I will venture even to say under the $3K mark.
Cosco will have goods priced for the bulk of their customers, which do not include higher end furniture.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Does Vanguard Furniture make a quality sectional
Hello. I am agonizing over finding the right sectional...
maggiewp
Leathercraft recliner, electric vs manual?
Any opinions, or recommendations? Thanks
greandog
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
AL Comfort Sleeper worth the price?
I'm considering purchasing a sectional with a sleeper...
virtualanne
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Sponsored Products
Kings Turban Gray 20-Inch Decorative Pillow Set of 2
$39.99 | Bellacor
LNR Home Natural Fiber Rectangle Jute Solid Area Rug (5'3 x 7'5)
Overstock.com
Handmade Succulent Cushion - Echeveria
$74.99 | Dot & Bo
Walters modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Blue Jay, Pussywillow Gray and Teal Polyester Filled 18 x 18 Pillow
$66.00 | Bellacor
Pillow Perfect Tropical 18-inch Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Suzani, Red, 4'1" x 6'2" M1760-258
Darya Rugs
Worthy Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Sunset Orange