Flush fireplace insert

mgabrielSeptember 17, 2008

We are in the process of starting to build a house. We would like a real fireplace but are considering putting a insert in it. We have looked at several flush wood burning inserts such as Lopi Declaration, FPX elite 33, and Avalon perfect fit. They are running close to $3000 for the inserts plus accessories (more than we were hoping to spend). It will be secondary heat and hopefully save a little $. We live in middle TN so the weather is not to cold. On the other hand I like the look of a real fireplace and the initial cost will be cheaper. IÂm not sure if we should bite the bullet and go with the insert or just have a real fireplace. Will a real fireplace produce any heat? How about with a blower?

Is there a online store that sell the above fireplace inserts mentioned?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

My understanding is that a fireplace insert is something that you install into the firebox of an existing fireplace. If you do not have a fireplace, an insert is not the thing for you.

If you are considering building a fireplace, you need to know that the conventional ones are not energy efficient and can actually send heated air up the chimney, although they are pretty. The optimal technology is something called direct vent which is typically available in either natural gas or propane gas. With such a system, the firebox is entirely sealed and there are 2 vents to the outside -- one to exhaust the fumes and the other to bring in air to feed the combustion. These units take a few minutes to heat up, and then they're like a blast furnace, really serious heat. Depending on the particular brand, you can get a very pretty realistic looking flame.

But if you're wedded to the fun of burning wood, direct vent is probably not for you.

To answer your question about a fan: They do work to help distribute the heated air, but some of them can be pretty noisy. You have to pick and choose.

Look in the website hearth.com. They have a chat room where you might get some more advice.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nhyankee

Consider a Rumford fireplace, that is the most efficient form of open fireplace. But I doubt you could get one for $3,000 or less.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™