Methods for drying out firewood.

dagremlinSeptember 6, 2006

As a new wood burning stove owner I have just bought my first cord of "seasoned" firewood and have a few questioons.

1. First of all, much of the wood doesn't look too seasoned, is 4 months enough time to allow the partially seasoned wood to cure?

2. I was always under the impression that wood would cure in the open air regardless of whether or not it is in a covered shed. Will stacking it without a cover still allow it to cure or does it have to be covered?

3. Does bark have to be removed prior to stacking or burning?

Thanks, A Newbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

I am not the person to give you a definitive answer on whether or not 4 months time will bring partially cured firewood up to "fully" cured. I suspect much of that has to do with the relative humidity where you live. Wood would likely cure faster in Arizona than it would in Louisiana. Make sense?

Firewood WILL cure in the open air (we have a couple of stacks that aren't under cover right now, just a tarp); but there are a few things to consider. Make sure you stack your wood on an old pallet, you don't want the wood to be in contact with the damp, moist ground. You want air to be able to circulate over and around the individual pieces. You should cover the stack, but LOOSELY and mostly over the top. The object being, you are trying to keep the rain/snow from saturating the long, exposed surfaces of the top pieces repeatedly.

You can leave the bark on. Actually, it will help give you an indication that the wood is drying. As the wood dries it contracts and the bark will become looser. Also look for telltale splits and cracks on the butt ends of pieces.

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 1:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

Is 4 months long enough to "season" wood? No. But it will burn just fine in your stove.
Seasoned wood becomes gray. That's the "good" stuff. But not many people around here wait a year to burn the wood. If you get your wood now it'll be ready to burn this winter. But get your wood from somebody that sells firewood. Because they usually fell the trees in the winter and stack them up. Now is when they're cutting those trees to log lengths. The wood will look like it's not good enough to burn, but it's just fine.

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Sponsored Products
Denby Heritage Terrace Soup / Cereal Bowl - Set of 4 - DENB223
$71.96 | Hayneedle
Eagle One Recycled Plastic Alexandria Patio Chair - C361BLK
$314.00 | Hayneedle
Garden Story Writer
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
Lasso Glitter Adjustable Pendant by Besa Lighting
$450.00 | Lumens
Rack It Up Trim Ceiling Cover - 2 Pack - MPT12
$16.99 | Hayneedle