Hearth around elecrtic fireplace?

nicolettaSeptember 5, 2007

Hi,

I am planning to remodel the exiting electric fireplace in my house. Now it has an hearth (tiles) in front of it but in many pictures I see that electric fireplaces don't have it. Can I take it the tiles out and bring the wood up to the edge of the fireplace or does the Building Code require to have non- combustilble hearth around an electric fireplace like you have it aorund a wood burning one? I live in California.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

The best thing for you to do is go into your local building department and ask an inspector about it (or review the local code yourself if you feel comfortable doing so). The code requirements on these things can vary greatly from place to place.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daingus

There should be no clearance to cumbustables for an Electric Unit. They typically only put out around 5,000 BTU's, so you should be fine. Basically the same thing as setting a Space Heater on your floor. If you're really concerned though, dig out your Manual on the FP. It will state the clearances in there. If you no longer have it, find the manufacturer and model and look it up online.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™