Can one stain 'New' Red Oak to match 'Old' Red Oak?

jambx22February 19, 2007

I have an older Cape (1930Âs) with wide plank Red Oak Flooring. I love these floors. There is a nice soft glow to them with a lot of character. I am also in the midst of remodeling my entire kitchen and thought I would carry this "wide plank" look into my design. I went out and purchased (through a local saw mill) 5, 7 and 9 inch Red Oak. I let the wood breath in the house for two weeks and then had my contractor installed the flooring. It looked just great. Then I hired a company to sand and stain. Here is where the nightmare began.

I was told that they could (within reason) match the stain / color on my older floors. After they sanded - they put down various types of Min Wax Stain (Golden Oak, Golden Pecan, Puritan Pine etcÂ) and it was decided that the Golden Pecan was "close". I then left for work  when I returned I find my brand new floor RED!!!! I call the contractor and he agreed with me it didnÂt look very good (then why the ^%$# didnÂt you stop!!!). He said he would return and re-sand them and re-stainÂand of by the way "you" (meaning me) may want to go to the paint store and look at various stains (wait  who is the floor expert here?!!!....).

To make a long story short  the floors were redone with a "Golden Oak" stain from ZAR and they still are not right. When we do a sample on a single board it looks pretty good but it is evident that when the entire room is done (13Âx13Â) it comes out with a Red / Salmon like hue.

After I engaged with other floor refinish companies I was told it will be very very hard to match what is in the house since the older floors and their grain structure will not match the newer wood. However, I could play around with mixing stains and see if I can come up with a combination that may work.

Is there anyway I can stain a Red Oak floor and have the end result more of a soft golden color?.... I tried Min Wax "Golden Oak" stain and all it does is turn the floor more of a reddish brown. Or is there a way I can mix let say a min wax product and get gold yellow colors out of it?......

Any feedback from anyone with any experience with new and old flooring and matching stain is greatly appreciated.,

My very expensive Kitchen remodel is on hold until this is resolvedÂ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Of course, this is no help to you...but I installed a red oak floor for a customer and I called it a 'bleeding' red oak floor it was so red.

Matching new oak flooring with that good old aged 'creamy-colored' stuff can be difficult, especially when the new stuff is way off color to start with.

Perhaps bleach the red out of the new stuff and then stain? Just a thought. Wood bleach is unbelievable dangerous stuff, so I don't mess with it much.

Hopefully a homeowner who has had sucess matching new to old with come in here with some good advice for you.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 8:24PM
jambx22

Thanks for the reply all the same. As you can tell I am extremely disappointed as I was only hoping to get the color close between floors (I knew it wouldnÂt be perfect) Â I spent a lot of money on custom cabinets and an issue like this can turn a project sour overnight.

I called Min Wax and the customer service person told me to use a water base "base coat" first, then follow it up with three coats of water based polyurethane. She went on to say that any "oil based" stain is going to bring out the tannins (spell?) of the wood which is why the red is coming through. If I use water based material it will give a soft amber look without the red.

Has anyone had experience with water based polyurethane on red oak?

Desperate in CT!

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 9:38PM
chicagomatt

Jambx22,

Did you ever find a good solution to this? I am running into the same situation. Contractor told me he could match the existing. He put in Select oak(probably should have uses Clear oak), then he just put the poly down. Way to light and too much variation.

I want him to resand and stain the floor to match the rest of the house. I don't think he has a clue how to match it.

Bookmark   January 10, 2009 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
ANeed advice on installation of wood look porcelain tiles, Help!
Help! wood look porcelain tiles seem durable and a...
xavalexa
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Looking for a specific tile, can you help me find it?
We are looking for a terracotta tile to go in our kitchen,...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Sponsored Products
Round Ceramic Pottery Toilet Brush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Oriental Medallion Red Oval Area Rug (5'3 x 6'10)
Overstock.com
Florence Knoll Style Loveseat-Red - Cashmere Wool
IFN Modern
10' Red Cedar Limerick Picket Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
EZ Jack Nautilus Pendant
Lightology
Red Extra-Coarse Grater
$8.99 | zulily
Eliot Sectional - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Ergohuman Executive Mid Back Chair in Plum Red