Changing directions of hardwood flooring

pameliaccFebruary 12, 2011

We are laying 3/4 Acacia hardwood, and have already completed the kitchen. Now to transition into the dining room we are having a bit of a challenge. We really would like to change the direction of the flooring in the dining room because of the French doors to the right and the sunken family room to the left.

One hand we feel that it's much busier looking making this transition, but, it flows in the dining room better if the flooring runs parallel with the doors. We are concerned with the transition area and how to take the flooring into the dining room. We tried to rip some darker planks and router the grove on one and slip tongue on the other hoping to give the wide plank look in the doorway, but we weren�t very successful. Any ideas? Should the dining room plank come into the doorway or like in the photos links, or should we definitely make continue trying the wide plank idea?

The hardwood is 3 � inch wide, by various lengths.

Oh, and now rush on the replies, we are only going to try to start laying the floor late this afternoon, lol! Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

Sorry no one else got back to you and you probably already have started...but thought I'd just express another opinion. I really wouldn't switch directions. I've had hardwoods running into both a sunken living room and end butting into a french door and it worked/looked great for both. If you had a floor that was more even in color, it might work okay, but yours is so busy even without changing directions....I think even with a transition board it is too busy and jumbled looking. I think you will be happier with the floors flowing all one direction. :-(

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 6:03PM
Laurie

What did you end up doing? Can you post pics?
Beautiful wood flooring!!!

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 11:22PM
ADK_Will

IMHO with wood as strongly patterned as yours, you will be much happier maintaining the same direction through out. If you are worried about a bowling alley look, by all means put a threshold in the doorway to create a break.

Will

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™