Fireplace grates

kbardSeptember 9, 2012

We have a nice fireplace that separates the living and dining room. Just got the house. As you can see there are two grates, one below and one above with two knobs for adjustment i assume one is for the flue but i don't know what the other is for, I assume something to do with these vents, I have never seen a fioreplace with these vents before and don't really like them. The vents look the same on the other side of the fireplace too. What are they for? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

To insure airflow so when using the fireplace the fire stays going. If there is no air flow i the fire will choke itself out.

    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it's kind of obvious they are for air flow. My question is, why does my particular fireplace have these? I have not seen fireplaces with these before. Usually above the fireplace is a blank wall where people put flat screen tvs, etc

    Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LilFlowers MJLN

Do you have a switch for a fan? My husband once delivered firewood to an elderly disabled man. When I asked what the vents were for, his wife answered that one was for air flow to help keep the fire lit and the other was for the heat to move to other areas of the room. Their fireplace had a switch for a fan to blow the heat if it didn't move about the room.

    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 1:27PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™