Dumb question on how to clean glass on wood stove

kkladySeptember 30, 2006

This may be a dumb question ..... but is there any way to clean the glass on a wood stove. My husband started our new wood stove, and apparently took from the wrong pile, and had some wet wood. I read the booklet from the stove, and it said to use window cleaner and cool ashes to clean the creosote from the glass. Well, 2 hours later, I am done. Is there a cleaner out there that works a little faster.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
movingwest

dont use windex. it can cause a permanent rainbow. buy a glass cleaner specifically for fireplace/woodstove glass.

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 1:34PM
berlin

by far the easiest way is to burn a hot fire and burn it off. you have a new woodstove, but you will quickly tire of cleaning the glass by any other method; there is no really "fast" way to clean it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 2:46PM
cordovamom

I used oven cleaner to clean the glass of our wood stove when we had it. Worked like a charm

Bookmark   September 30, 2006 at 5:01PM
christopherh

Just remember, the "glass" isn't glass. It's ceramic. Go to your srove shop and get a cleaner. The black comes off inside of seconds. I bought some about 3 years ago and it'll last a long time.

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 7:59AM
cbreeze

I used oven cleaner too. Be sure to protect everything though.

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 6:53PM
tommyw

I also use EZ off oven cleaner. Be carefull not to overspray or get it on your hands. I place old newspaper around the door to prevent any overspray hitting outside the glass.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 1:25PM
chris_m_2010

1. For heavy buildup a hot fire is the best approach. Consider that if you are creating a buildup on the glass that the same thing is getting deposited in the flue and a hot fire should help that too. Short hot fires minimize creosote.
2. When it is cool use a damp paper towel. Moderate creosote can be removed with a paste of water and ashes.
3. Use a cleaner made for wood stove glass; they claim it will leave a silicone layer that will help make it easier to clean in the future.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 8:58AM
notinterested_inspam_com

Get oven cleaner in a spray bottle which you can dilute down to a 1 to 4 ratio. That's 1 part oven cleaner to 4 parts water. Reserve the full strength oven cleaner in a secondary container and remix as needed.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 9:23AM
mel_jenson_yahoo_com

Get a wet paper towel and dip it in the cooled ashes and ta da! it simply wipes off so easily its magic!!!

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 6:03PM
mikemonaghan

DONT use over cleaner! it gets into the pours of the glass and will shorten its lifespan. best home remeady is to use newspaper and wet with water, dip it in the ashes and make a paste, then spreed it on the glass, it breaks done the soot and comes off easy

Here is a link that might be useful: woodstove-fireplaceglass

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™