Refacing a brick fireplace

dtr56September 16, 2005

Hello and hoping someone out there has some info for me. We have just finished painting our fireplace mantel and wood surround and now the red brick on the fireplace and hearth looks awful. I'd like a one-piece (slab, if you will) of some hard surface to cover it, such as granite but wondering if there is any other type of hard, heat resistant type of stone or stone-like and not in tile form to cover the brick (less expensive than granite), otherwise I think we'll just go the granite route. Has anyone covered their fireplaces in granite or granite-like product? and any other info you can provide would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
atmiller398

Have you thought about faux painting it? My wife is a faux painter and paints them all the time. Saves a lot of money too! Just an Idea..

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplaces my Wife has painted

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 9:40PM
pebbles396

We covered a fireplace with cermic tiles. It turned out ok. Then the next one I did tumbled marble on the face, and travertine on the hearth.

There is also the option of brick veneer if you want something that looks like the fireplace used to/should have. Recovered Chicago pavers that have split into veneers are readily available.

Depending on what sort of look you're hoping for you could choose granite, marble, soap stone tiles, custom concrete, etc etc.

I know what you mean, a friend of ours painted a fireplace and it was a disaster. Also as someone who has tried to strip the paint off I don't suggest us. I was averaging 45 minutes per brick - it was maddening.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 1:10PM
dtr56

atmiller, thanks for the reply. Your wife does beautiful work. We did think of painting or faux painting but decided we'd like some type of granite-like stone to cover the brick.
Thank you pebbles. My first thought was the ceramic tiles but after looking through many magazines I like the look of a "slab" of some sort. We'd rather not have any grout lines and the maintenance that goes along with that. Do you know if soap stone or marble are less expensive than granite (or even concrete). I'll have to check those options out. I can't begin to think of painting the bricks and than someday wanting to remove the paint. What a job at 45 minutes per brick........that sounds like a year long project.
Again, thanks for the replies!

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Sponsored Products
Wood Molding & Trim: Home Legend Flooring African Mahogany 3/4 in. Thick x
$29.98 | Home Depot
Christopher Knight Home Elaine Tufted Fabric Chair and Ottoman
Overstock.com
Wood Molding & Trim: Bruce Flooring Fifth Avenue Topaz Red Oak 5/8 in. Thick x
$46.27 | Home Depot
Antibellum Medium Cabinet with Electric Fireplace
Grandin Road
Landmann Big Sky Wildlife Fire Pit - 28337
$129.98 | Hayneedle