Need grates woodburning fireplace

briant73September 11, 2008

I'm new to owning a home with woodburning fireplaces, I have already had them sweeped out and inspected but on one of them the grate is falling apart. I am looking to replace this grate. I take it with grates the wider end goes towards the front and the narrow one towards that back. How much clearance do I want on the sides and front/back? Also what is a good grate material?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heimert

Are you talking about something to put the wood on? Like andirons, but also with cross pieces?

Yes, you want the narrow part towards the back, similar to the shape of the fireplace (or most). I would leave an inch or two of clearance at the rear at most. Depending on how big your fireplace is, several inches on either side is good--that way you have room to maneuver logs. It doesn't need to be the full width of the fireplace.

I think cast iron is pretty standard material, and is fine. They do wear out from heat. Home depot among other places has them for not that much money ($30-50)

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 11:12AM
briant73

Thanks for the answer. I got a cast iron grate and put it into the fireplace as you described. Now I need to get some wood to burn.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 12:23PM
gregd

Dang, too late.

I have one of these and I highly reccomend it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Grate Wall of Fire

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 10:17PM
briant73

Thanks for the information anyways, seems like something down the road I'll be interested in.

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Hot wall
Hi , I've posted this here before but will try again...
salbwil
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™