Help with Pellet Pipe Venting

elroyyboySeptember 19, 2011

Hi,

I'm getting a cheapie pellet stove from Lowes this week to help heat the basement woodshop and hopefully get some residual heat upstairs in our 2 story cape cod. I paid $450-500/mo last winter for electricity. We've got a cheap all electric furnace that isn't very productive as we have no returns in our upstairs (a problem to fix soon).

I've bought the kit from Dura Vent and it's got a 7 in. diameter wall thimble. I'm going straight through poured concrete basement walls and I don't know if I can rent/borrow a big enough coring drill to drill a 7" hole. Since it's concrete can I just bore the hole over the diameter of the stove pipe and caulk it in with fireproof silicon? I'm meeting all my clearances inside and outside.

Thanks, and apologies for such a long post!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikesr2tired

It's probably too late to answer this. Personally I don't see a problem with venting directly through a concrete wall without a thimble. The thimble is designed to keep a hot pipe away from combustable materials and I don't believe concrete is combustable! I used just regular silicone sealant on my installation and I had no issues.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™