Windsor Chair Recommendations?

scottmelMarch 23, 2011

Am currently refinishing a great pine farmhouse table and want to replace 2 chairs. I have 2 beautiful distressed black windsor chairs that I bought from a local PA dealer that were hand done. Sadly he is out of business. I was all excited for Ethan Allen chairs or Broyhill Attic chairs but they get lousy reviews. Anyone out there recommend windsor kitchen chairs? black distressed? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Mike Dunbar has been teaching Windsor chair making for years. Graduates are all over the country (and world). While they are not production pieces, they might be more expensive than Asian imports. They are hand-crafted and will become multi-generation chairs.

There are others in addition to the short list at the link. I'm sure with a little work, you can find someone near you. There are other places that teach the technology and many chairmakers self-trained or apprenticed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windsor Institute

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 6:36PM
nancnh

Warren Chair out of Warren, RI makes some very nice reproduction windsor chairs.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 8:38AM
hf2046

Windsor Chair Resources is an excellent site on learning more about construction techniques and makers. Some of these folks split the logs themselves! I'm sure you can find a maker near you that can make whatever style and finish you need...

Here is a link that might be useful: Windsor Chair Resources

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice
Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other...
sailormass
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
looking for Marge Carson Used Pieces
Hi there, I am looking to buy used Marge Carson Furniture. Kindly, Barb...
iluvcarats
I want to make a sofa box cushion the right size.
I have two sofas, that I would like to re-upholster....
pisley
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™