Can you measure yours?

ctlaneSeptember 27, 2007

Hi. We are installing a fireplace that will be free standing, meaning it will be placed between the living room and diningroom (open concept) and will have cultured stone on all sides.

My question, because it is DIY, is what is the distance from your floor to top of hearth? What is the distance from the top of your fireplace opening to your mantle?

Do these dimensions change with different height ceilings?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xine

I believe that each fireplace will have very specific requirements for placement... just check the manufacturer's website.

Mine isn't freestanding, but it's 8" from floor to bottom of the box (no hearth), and top opening is 8" to the top of the overall box, which is where the wood facing starts.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 7:02PM
SeattlePioneer

Obtain a copy of the manufacturer's installation directions for your fireplace, and follow them. If you do, you should have a safe installation, if you don't all bets are off.

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 1:43PM
oruboris

If you are considering creating your own wood burning masonry fireplace from scratch, don't: creating a safe, effeicient FP from a few stones and bags of concrete isn't a job for amatures.

Use a firebox from a reputable company, follow the instructions.

The taller the ceiling, the more 'draw' [suction] the chimney delivers. Some gas burners have a maximum as well as minimum vertical vent height. Again, check with the manufacturer.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 5:56AM
More Discussions
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Harmon pellet stove.
What is your experience? I purchased a Harmon P-38...
mulesrider
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™