Dining Room Floor dilemma

maryann_mFebruary 14, 2014

I would like to get new flooring for our dining room. The dining room is accessed through two wide open doorways--one from the kitchen (where we have Duraceramic tile in Tobacco Clay) and one from an open area which extends from our living room (where we have 30-yr. old natural red oak floors. The kitchen tile also abutts the oak flooring. I had thought about extending oak flooring into the dining room, but the dining room furniture wouldn't contrast expecially well on natural oak. I thought about extending the Duraceramic tile into the dining room - but not sure if sliding of chairs would cause scratching issues, and not entirely sure it's the look I want in the dining room.

Another option I thought about might be to do a border of hardwood in the dining room with the oak to match adjacent area and then do a central rectangle under the table in a contrasting stain that has similar brown tones to the kitchen tile.

I'm interested in feedback and ideas.What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JadedBaroness

I would continue the oak into the dining room and find an area rug to put under the table. That will give a visual separation between the dining set and the floor so that the similarity in their tones becomes a non-issue.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 2:28PM
xc60

I agree with Jaded, to continue the hardwood with a rug and if you don't like the idea of a rug you also can use tile under the table with hardwood surround. This was one of our nooks where we did that.

Sorry, photo is so small.

This post was edited by xc60 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 1:26

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 10:51PM
gregmills_gw

If youre worried about having each room defined as individuals you could always stain the dining rm a different color if you went with HW.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 1:22AM
maryann_m

Thanks for the ideas. Continuing the oak and using a rug makes a great deal of sense. I was trying to get away from a carpet in the dining room, but it probably would look best. Tile in the center area is yet another idea to consider. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
Sponsored Products
Napa Blakely Chocolate Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$279.00 | Bellacor
Madison Park Marcel Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Melt Away Fondue Set
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Walters modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Roddy Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Braided Accent Rug: Corsica Lake Blue 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Designers Fountain 83689 Castello 9 Light Chandelier in Tuscana Finish Multicolo
$638.00 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Rothko Sand Beige 3' 6" x 5' 6"
$89.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™