2 sided brick fireplace upgrade

hharleyguySeptember 20, 2008

Would like ideas on upgrading a two sided fireplace. I don't know what to do with the top. It is about 6ft tall, retangular with the common wall making a V into it. I haven

't figured out how to upload a photo. I figure I can knock off about 4 brick layers of the top, put tile on all three sides but have no idea about the top or mantel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

A mantel is not necessary, unless you have your heart set on displaying certain favorite things on it. If your decor is modern/contemporary, you might consider doing without a mantel. Dress up the thing with a really nice surround. Almost any noncombustible can be used -- cast iron, tile, marble, slate, stone. Browse fireplace websites to get ideas.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 9:39AM
hharleyguy

Thanks for your response Mr. Proud. I have been unable to find any good examples of what I have. I understand about not having a mantel, but what would I do for the top? Do I tile it the same as the 3 sides? If you like I can email you a few photos to help visualize my predicament.

again, thanks for your time

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 12:10PM
fandlil

You could go topless. Think of a picture frame that has just 3 sides -- right left and top. Just a 3-sided frame around the firebox and no mantel. The frame would have to be noncombustible and wide enough, say, 8 inches, for safety reasons. Or you could even go frameless, if you want to be really contemporary. Do a google search of modern fireplace. It will turn up lots of pictures that will help you visualize the possibilities. Most people have a fixed idea that a fireplace has to have a really dressed up look that becomes the big center of attention in the room. But you can tone it down -- and probably save yourself a lot of money, if you're receptive to the idea of keeping it not so imposing. Just make sure that the surround immediately around the firebox is a noncombustible material.

Try the google search for ideas. If more questions, come back here. Have fun. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Sponsored Products
Metropolitan Table Top Ethanol Fireplace
Overstock.com
CHIMO Fireplace Set 4 Pcs. by Blomus
$227.69 | Lumens
Spa Super White Big Brick Glass Tiles
$16.99 | TileBar
44" Minka Traditional Concept Oil-Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Glowbox Electric Fireplace in Blue
$199.99 | Dot & Bo