Cooking/baking with Benefiber

donnar57February 24, 2008

Has anyone ever added Benefiber (or similar product) to things they have cooked or baked?

I've added a little to my cooking, where I thought it would be appropriate. But I'm not sure what ratio I should use. The jar calls for 2 tsp as a serving (3g of fiber).

My husband isn't fond of "whole wheat" rolls, bread, or anything. So I have to resort to making the low-fat white breads and biscuits more fibrous by adding the wheat-dextrin based Benefiber to the baking and cooking.

The good news is that he's going to be changing shifts, and I should actually see him home for dinner 4 days a week (instead of 2). I think his boss is doing that to get DH back on track, frankly - citing company finances. (Yes, I have great respect for DH's boss - T. calls himself "a heart case waiting to happen" - but T. has taken steps to make sure he lives a heart-healthy lifestyle and has now a new project - one of his favorite workers. T came to see DH in the hospital, which I thought was VERY nice.)

Any help regarding the Benefiber, I would appreciate. (I already checked Benefiber's website, which only said "add it to your cooking and baking", but not HOW.)

Thanks,

DonnaR/CA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

I checked Benefiber's web site and they had a large selection of recipes (see link below).

Personally, I avoid commercial fiber products and use a large selection of foods for fiber, including flaxmeal (I mill it in a coffee/spice mill at home), chia seeds, coconut flour, whole grains, unsweetened coconut, fruit of all kinds, nuts, beans and bean flour, vegetables, etc.

Fiber isn't one thing like bran or oats - it's pectin, cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin (lots of that in flaxmeal), gums and mucilages, and you get those from a variety of foods.

I add flaxmeal to almost everything I bake, which is an easy way to increase the fiber. I also prefer WHITE WHEAT to mill into flour because it is less bitter and easier to use with whole wheat haters. King Arthur has a white wheat flour product, but I mill my own.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefiber Recipes

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
OT - spoon basket
So I am having some work done on my 'kitchen'. The...
agmss15
To Fava or not to Fava?
For my cooking/recipe club, I'm preparing Braised Lamb...
bbstx
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Sponsored Products
All-Clad Splatter Screen with Curved Handle - T187
$60.00 | Hayneedle
KidKraft Sushi Dinner Set - 63333
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Oster OGB81101 White Digital Microwave Oven
Overstock.com
Circulon Contempo 2-piece Nonstick Skillet Set
Overstock.com
In Bloom Measuring Spoons - Set of 5
$19.99 | Dot & Bo