Kempas Darkening

kingkoopaFebruary 15, 2013

We recently purchased a property and are trying to match the hardwood floors in another room. The floors that were there are "Hawa Kempas", so that's what we ordered. After a month of backorder, they finally came in. Unfortunately, they do not look anything like what is already down. I've talked to some people and did some researching online; it looks like the kempas will darken over time, but I find it hard to believe the floors will darken this much. If you look at the photo, the bottom floors are covered in a lot of dust.

Has anyone had experience with kempas floors darkening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gamountains

Quite a difference eh? This is common with many hardwoods particularly exotics. The best way to approach is create a transition area (header boards) between rooms so it almost looks like two different hardwoods.

Or..if you have a lot of space and time the new can be placed in direct sunlight for a few days. Driveway? I know it's a lot of work and has to be brought in every night (dew) but it's a suggestion.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynn2012

Kingkoopa, any pictures of your new installed floor and how dark it has become? I am thinking of Kempas I am feeling there will be more red boards than Brazilian Cherry and Santos Mahogany and it will not get as dark but seeing your pictures is making me wonder if I am wrong.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™