replacing our living room carpet

phrogFebruary 3, 2013

We're doing some remodeling and should probably replace our old carpet. Two questions:

1. I think that many years ago, wool was considered the best carpeting. Is it much more expensive than synthetic products? How does something like Smartstrand compare in terms of durability?

2. Eventually -- maybe in 8 years or so -- we'll sell the house. Is carpet an unfashionable choice for flooring these days. I personally like the comfort of it, but I may not be the typical homeowner of 2013.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

"Is carpet an unfashionable choice for flooring these days?"

Well there you have it! What is be fashionable today may be passe tomorrow. But why do you care? Get the flooring you are comfortable with and let the next owners put in what they want.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 3:42PM
DIYguy_FL

1. If you are going for durability, you will be extremely hard-pressed to find a carpet as durable AND soft as SmartStrand. The Triexta fiber has the stain resistance engineered in so that it never fades or wears off. They put it inside a Rhino enclosure in a zoo and it still cleaned up amazing and retained it's structure.

2. I do agree with glennsfc, go with what feel's right for you. As long you picked a durable product that will look good in 8 years (ie SmartStrand) your home will still make the impression you want come sale time!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:26PM
phrog

I checked out the Smartstrand carpets at Lowe's, and the top of the line in a medium pile was Lucky Star at $3.82 with SS pad. He mentioned additional costs and limitations that I didn't fully absorb in a quick conversation.

My next step is to check the independent carpet stores. Assuming their best SS costs more, is it also a better carpet or the same thing as Lucky Star under another name and marked up more?

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Need help open area flooring (great room, kitchen).
Hello, please help. I am looking for flooring that...
einajr
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
Sponsored Products
Askot Hand-tufted Area Rug
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Window Curtains Lined from DiaNoche Designs by Dora Ficher - ABC Alphabet
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Sharing Circle´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Teen Ar
$255.95 | Bellacor
Ivory Floral Rug (7'10 x 10')
Overstock.com
Santino Wing Chair with Cushion
Grandin Road
Lights Up | Walker 3-Arm Drum Chandelier
$302.00 | YLighting
Alpine Furniture Windsor 9 Drawer Dresser - ALPE281
$799.00 | Hayneedle
Maxim Mondrian 36 1/2" High 9-Light Bronze Chandelier
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™