cleaning a herendon sofa

hoh2010March 23, 2011

Hi, I need to have a 5 year old sofa cleaned. the fabric is velvet. I have an estimate of $175. does this sound reasonable. the cleaner who came out to give the estimate said that it is a special fabric and he needs to be really careful. your input is extremely appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

This sounds reasonable to me (someone who does cleanings.) While it's more than a "synthetic fiber with no extraordinary stains," you have a fabric that needs extra care, skill, and time. Plus the place has already made one trip out to look at it and give you an estimate.

I am always reminded of the time I spent waiting around for nearly 45 minutes at a door and window supplier while there was a company meeting going on in the nearby conference room. The manager was exhorting his staff to be efficient and thorough in their work because "it costs $250 to send a truck out to a customer's house." While my overhead is not that high, my average trip is 30 minutes and 20 miles. So a trip to estimate and a trip to work costs me two hours and 80 miles. At a typical charge of $80, I can sometimes barely cover travel expenses.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 6:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoh2010

thanks for your input. it is very helpful.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™