Help! Scratch on new fireplace insert

mszinaAugust 20, 2012

A Pacific Energy Summit insert was installed today when we were not home. When we got home, we noticed a very obvious and large scratch, down to the bare silver metal, on the bottom shelf (under the door). The scratch is on the front bend and is about two inches long. The installer wants to put some paint over the scratch. I do not think it is acceptable to purchase a brand new stove with paint over a scratch.

What is the longevity of paint over a scratch? I am worried that the heat will cause the paint to come off or the paint may not match. Since I am paying over four thousand dollars (installation included), I want my stove perfect to start. I feel any subsequent scratches should be caused by my husband!

I need advice. Should I let the installer put paint over the scratch or insist he replaces the scratched part?

Thank you so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

Your insert is painted with a high heat paint. You can get these paints at every stove shop. So for the installer to sand the unit and repaint it is perfectly OK. Some of these paints can withstand temperatures over 800 degrees. They are not your typical Krylon paint you get at the hardware store.

Your insert will get scratched during it's use anyway, so it's always a good idea to have a can around for touch ups.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Metal Fireplace Mantel; Distance & Depth
Hi, This is my first posting. I apologize in advance...
hariot
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Replacing fake logs with glass crystals
I've got a majestic fireplace (direct vent, natural...
sshaw66
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™